Good Morning America announced the five sets of names in contention during its Oct. 3 broadcast.
Voting will begin online through Wednesday, Oct. 9, on Good Morning America. The winning sets of names will be announced on the cubs’ 100 Day Naming Celebration, scheduled for Oct. 23, 2013.
The five sets of names were selected by Zoo Atlanta colleagues at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding in China. Monikers in the running are:
- Mei Lun (may loon) and Mei Hua (may hwaa), meaning “Lun Lun’s twin cubs born in the U.S.”
- Mei Lun (may loon) and Mei Huan (may hwaan), originating from a Chinese idiom that also means “something indescribably beautiful and magnificent”
- Tian Lun (tee-an loon) and Tian Le (tee-an luh), a modified version of another Chinese idiom meaning “joy of family life” or “family happiness”
- Lan Tian (lan tee-an) and Bi Shui (bee shway), meaning “blue sky and clear water”
- Da Lan (dah lan) and Xiao Lan (sheow lan), meaning “bigger one (a reference to the larger Cub B) and smaller one (Cub A) of Atlanta-born twins.”
The Zoo’s PANDA Extravaganza Sweepstakes, now open on www.zooatlanta.org, will randomly select one giant panda fan and a guest for a personal visit to the giant panda cubs’ nursery and VIP participation in their 100 Day Naming Celebration.
The prize also includes roundtrip airfare to Atlanta from anywhere in the continental U.S.; two nights at W Atlanta – Downtown; dinner for two at BLT Steak Atlanta; and a spa package for two at Bliss Atlanta.
The cubs are expected to make their debut sometime in late fall. Fans can catch a glimpse on PandaCam presented by EarthCam on www.zooatlanta.org/pandacam and on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google+.