New Year's Eve: for some in the area, maybe it consists of a fairly quiet night at home, watching the preferred revelry show (in my house, we like Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin on CNN simply because they work so well together), inviting a few friends over, popping a special bottle of champagne and winding down soon after the ball--and peach--drop. But maybe you prefer to go out, eat something special and celebrate the occasion with your friends and neighbors. In that case, here are some area restaurants doing special things for the special day. You may want to plan ahead and seek reservations if necessary.
1. offers food and drink specials all night, plus live music and a champagne toast at midnight.
2. The Velvet Room (note: audio on website) is ready for revelers with the seventh annual All Black Affair presented by Alex Gidewon and Ciroc Vodka beginning at 9 pm. The dress code is strictly enforced and is pretty much what it says in the title: all black clothing. It's $25 or $60 for VIP and you can get tickets here.
3. will have a performance by the house favorite The Sage Hill String Band.
4. has a special three-course prix fixe meal for $45, including a champagne toast. Dishes include salad or soup, lamb shank or cod, a vegetarian option if needed and creme brulee or chocolate tart for dessert. The two seatings for the dinner are 7 and 9 pm. Please RSVP to 404-248-9700 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. If you'd rather not go out to eat or go party it up, you can go see a movie. is showing some films that could make for good New Year's Eve viewing, like Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Secrets, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and The Darkest Hour. Check out showtimes here.