“District personnel have been working around the clock to ensure that our buses and schools will be operating at a high level of efficiency, Mr. Thurmond said in a news release. "We are encouraging parents and adult guardians to take extra precautions to dress students in a way that will help protect them from the effects of extremely cold weather.”
Officials urged parents to heed the following measures in preparing students to return to school Wednesday:
- Dress children in layers by choosing warm fabrics
- Cover ears, nose, and cheeks
- Provide adequate nutrition prior to leaving for the bus stop, including water and/or a warm, non-caffeinated liquid
- Instruct your child to keep body, fingers and toes moving while waiting for the bus to arrive
- If possible, accompany your child to the bus stop or walk with your child to school.