l is one of 13 schools in Georgia named among the Top 10 percent in achievement.
Oak Grove Elementary ranked at No. 4. Each school will receive a $1,000 check from Georgia Natural Gas to use as the school wishes.
"These schools are showing that excellence can be achieved when they focus on providing a world-class education for their students," State School Superintendent John Barge said in a statement.
United Healthcare is also a sponsor for the 2011 Schools of Excellence program.
Schools are chosen from each Congressional District in the following categories:
- Schools that are in the top 10 percent in Georgia as measured by assessments in reading and mathematics.
- Schools that demonstrated greatest continuous gains in student achievement for the past three years as measured by assessments in reading and mathematics.
TOP 10 PERCENT
1. Oglethorpe Point Elementary, Glynn County
2. Westside Elementary, Lowndes County
3. Peeples Elementary, Fayette County
4. Oak Grove Elementary, DeKalb County
5. Morningside Elementary, Atlanta Public Schools
6. Vanderlyn Elementary, DeKalb County
7. Shiloh Point Elementary, Forsyth County
8. Alexander II Magnet, Bibb County
9. Vickery Creek Elementary, Forsyth County
10. Stevens Creek Elementary, Columbia County
11. Jones Elementary, Bremen City
12 Savannah Arts Academy, Savannah-Chatham County
13. Holly Springs Elementary, Douglas County